Los Angeles Residential Care Facility Negligence Attorney

In-home care providers for the elderly (RCFEs) and assisted living facilities (ALFs) are usually not medical professionals. When their actions or inactions harm residents or violate state law, Law Offices of Michael Oran in Los Angeles, California, works to hold them accountable.

For the proper medical care for your loved one, leave it to qualified professionals. Untrained or under-supervised RCFE and ALF staff may make a bad situation worse. For help, contact us at 855-700-2913.

The Difference Between Nursing Homes, RCFEs and ALFs

Residential care facilities for the elderly – typically 60 years or older – provide room, board, supervision and assistance with daily activities. Families choose RCFEs because while their loved ones are not able to live alone, they do not require the level of care found in nursing homes and hospitals.

Most assisted living facilities offer residents their own private apartment with a central social area, kitchen, and dining room. ALFs allow elderly people to age in place by giving them assistance with housekeeping, personal care and meal preparation.

How RCFEs And ALFs Engage In Abuse Or Neglect

It is unfortunately too common that undertrained or under-supervised staff at an RCFE or ALF treat medical issues beyond their capacity or in ways that violate state law. Such actions increase the likelihood your loved one could suffer further injuries that may result in the loss of his or her life.

Many RCFEs and ALFs make it difficult for family members to take corrective action and hold staff accountable to a minimum standard of care. We have the knowledge and experience you need to see that justice is served when your elderly family member has been victimized by abuse or neglect.

What Is Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse?

Abuse of an elder or a dependent adult is abuse of:

  • Someone 65 years old or older; or
  • A dependent adult, who is someone between 18 and 64 that has certain mental or physical disabilities that keep him or her from being able to do normal activities or protect himself or herself.

The law says elder or dependent adult abuse is:

  • Physical abuse, neglect, financial abuse, abandonment, isolation, abduction (taking the person out of the state against his or her will), or other behavior that causes physical harm, pain, or mental suffering; OR
  • Deprivation by a caregiver of things or services that the elder or dependent adult needs to avoid physical harm or mental suffering.

Contact Us

For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced residential care facility malpractice lawyer, please call 855-700-2913.