Cases Against The Federal, State Or County Government

Taking On Public Entities and Governments

When it is determined that a government or public entity is responsible for a serious injury or wrongful death, a lawyer must be prepared to address the challenges that will arise to move the case forward and get compensation for the victim. At the Law Offices of Michael Oran, A.P.C., attorney Michael Oran benefits from more than 30 years of experience, including numerous claims against the federal, state and county governments and other public entities. These claims may involve medical malpractice, auto accidents involving government vehicles and other acts of negligence.

The Federal Tort Claims Act

Congress has established rules for negligence cases brought against the federal government. The rules, known as the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) are mandatory and procedurally different from state court personal injury and wrongful death claims.

For example, one of the important requirements before bringing a lawsuit against the federal government is the presentation of an administrative claim. This claim must be properly presented within two years of the date of the injury. Furthermore, the claim form needs to be accurately filled out as it is signed under penalty of perjury. In addition, cases brought pursuant to the FTCA are not tried before a jury. Instead, they are heard by a federal judge who alone will make the decision in your case.

Over the years, Mr. Oran has handled many medical negligence and personal injury cases that involve the FTCA. No matter the court, the judge or jury, if you deserve compensation, Mr. Oran is committed to helping you obtain a just and fair result.

The California Tort Claims Act

Claims against non-federal governmental entities such as county, city, state, public hospitals, METRO, school districts, other entities owned and/or operated by government agencies, and any employee of these entities are subject to the California Tort Claims Act. Subject to certain exceptions and in cases involving minors, before filing a lawsuit against any such public entities, you must first file a proper verified claim with the proper entity within 6 months of the accident or wrongdoing. Even after a claim is filed, a lawsuit must be filed in the courts within 6 months after your claim is rejected by the governmental entity, or your rights will be barred.

There are some exceptions to these rules. However, these time limits can be complicated and confusing, especially if your potential case involves both a public entity defendant and a private defendant.

For that reason, it is important to contact an attorney, like Michael Oran who is experienced in this area of law.

Contact The Law Offices Of Michael Oran, A.P.C.

Call toll free at 855-700-2913, locally at 213-624-1177 or complete the online contact form to schedule your free initial consultation with a Los Angeles Federal and California Tort Claims Act attorney. Based in downtown Los Angeles, Mr. Oran represents clients across Southern California.